The Magic Liar of Dragons

>> Thursday, May 27, 2010

I’m a big fat liar, so sue me. I lie to my kids, who doesn’t? Right? When they ask questions you just don’t want to deal with.

I don’t fear the “SEX” questions, they know all that stuff. I however fear the “did you smoke pot” question…I’ll be lying then too.

Today the question came up while talking about my 7 year old's middle name. When I was prego with Jonah, my oldest which was 4 at the time, wanted to name him Dragon.

Well Jonah Dragon was not what we went with, and Jonah now thinks that Dragon is a much better middle name.

He's pretty much thinking he got screwed and at 7 knows having the name Dragon would make him the coolest kid in 2nd grade.

Naturally he now wants to know where we got his middle name, since his parents must be giant morons not to see that his big brother had a much better idea.

“We named you after my brother.” I inform him.

BUT that’s not enough…he starts the interrogation.

“You don’t have a brother.”

*Major attitude here*

“I did have a brother.”

“Well, where is he?”

*Challenging me*

“He died before you were born.”

*Thinking this hard fact would shut him up…but he’s not falling for it*

“Oh yeah, how did he die then?”

*Like I’m making this all up!*

They think he died of hyperthermia. Did you get your homework started like I asked?”

*Trying to be vague and use big words to confuse and change subject*

“What’s hyper-term-pee?”

*HA! He’s confused!*

“It’s a medical condition like cancer, now get your back pack please you have a game tonight.”

*Paints on Fire*

“Awwww MOM I don’t waaaannnnnaaaa go to baseball!.”

*SCORE*

I loved my brother very much, for many years it was just me and him against the world. I wanted to honor his memory by giving our 2nd born his name.

I miss him all the time, but I’ll be honest, my brother had a hard life and made lot of bad choices that most likely lead to his death. How do you explain this to a 7 year old? One day I will, but not just before baseball.

Photos Bing Image

Jacqui May 27, 2010 at 5:37 PM

could of put RYO or RYU as a middle name. they both mean dragon in japinese.

Jacqui May 27, 2010 at 5:37 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bossy Betty May 27, 2010 at 6:40 PM

WHoa. That's rough stuff. You'll know what to say when the time comes!

Marlene May 27, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I'm so sorry about your brother. I don't envy you in trying to explain that one away. :(

hotpants™ May 28, 2010 at 7:40 AM

I'm sorry about your brother. Lying to him for a good reason is ok.

Stopping by from SITS!

Michelle May 28, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I agree that kids don't need to know the horrible details of our past as such a young age. I do believe that kids can learn from our mistakes if we're honest with them (regarding the smoking pot). My mom was very forthcoming and honest with me and my 3 siblings when it came to her past and I believe it was for that reason that I didn't care to try them. That's not to say I didn't, just that I didn't care if I did or not. But I also agree that at age 7, they don't need to know that.

I'm so sorry you lost your brother and the choices that he made. I, too, have a brother who's made some horrible decisions and is currently paying for them. Again, I agree that at 7 years old, they don't need to know all the sordid details of a persons life until they're of an age they can understand. I've had to skirt around some issues with my oldest, but I just tell him "I don't think you're old enough to understand these things and I'm sorry if that makes you upset. When you're older, we'll discuss it."

jeanette_huston@yahoo.com May 30, 2010 at 6:31 PM

I am following you from Friday Follow.

Thanks