Smile Stupid!

>> Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A smile is the light in the window of your face that tells people you're at home. ~Author Unknown

There is a reason there are so many quoits about “a Smile”

A smile costs nothing but gives much. It enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give. It takes but a moment, but the memory of it sometimes lasts forever. None is so rich or mighty that he cannot get along without it and none is so poor that he cannot be made rich by it. Yet a smile cannot be bought, begged, borrowed, or stolen, for it is something that is of no value to anyone until it is given away. Some people are too tired to give you a smile. Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile so much as he who has no more to give. ~Author Unknown
5th grade

Growing up I had messed up teeth and hated them, my front teeth were huge *think horse.* I had what you would call a cross bite, but I just called it fangs! I often would fanaticize about being a vampire and if I sharpened them up a bit I could suck your blood.

Being that I was a blood sucking vampire horse, I didn’t smile. I made great effort to not show my teeth, even to the point of covering my mouth when I laughed.
The tight lip smile

With all my Fat and Fang issues I came across as cold and bitchy to those around me, making me more Vampireish….tho I don’t see many Fat Vamps.

(Right about now my Mom and my dear BFF Tanya are screaming at their computer…"SHUT UP YOU WERENT FAT"!!!  But it’s my Blog and my Body image issues, so bite me. )

The High School "Non smile"

It took until I was out of high school and almost 20 years old for my parents to get me some much needed braces. My parents must have hated me to make me go thought high school with a fat fang face, or they just never wanted me to date.

Even after the braces came off I still had a hard time cracking a smile at anyone. I was so conditioned to hide my teeth I had to relearn that expression.
The day the braces came off with my braces Dr., I look stoned.

At some point in my life I did figure out that a simple smile made me a warmer person, more likeable, approachable. I didn’t enjoy being perceived as a hard ass, bitches need friends too.

I did an experiment…When out shopping I would smile at everyone I made eye contact with. I still do this today, well when I’m not in a completely pissy mood that is.

It is kind of cool to see who will smile back and who will look at you like you’re a nut case.

Men almost always smile back, if it’s an older man I may even get a wink or “Hello.”

If he looks confused he may asked were the Salt is.

You do have to be careful, once a guy asked me if I could give him a few bucks. “Dude I’m not your mom.”

Women, on the other hand, smile back a lot less. Mostly they will look away quick, trying to pretend they didn’t see me smiling at them, Snobs.

This also depends on the age, women my age with kids in the cart are more likely to give me a knowing smile, saying my kids are making me crazy too let’s park em in the cookies and go get a drink.

Then the older ladies will stop and talk to my daughter…”oh she’s so cute, how old she is”…always followed with a story of how her daughter would scream in the store too, or how they grow up so fast, before I know it I’ll be paying for her wedding.

Wedding...Naw…I’m just never going to get her braces.

It is said that 55% of communication comes from nonverbal cues, such as facial expression and gestures.

So I’m thinking that there is a lot more meaning in a smile then I ever thought.

Think about that the next time you are rushing around with lots on your mind, slap on a smile and the whole world gets a little warmer.  Plus it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing. ~Mother Teresa

A friendly look, a kindly smile, one good act, and life's worthwhile. ~Author Unknown

A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles. ~Washington Irving

Beauty is power; a smile is its sword. ~Charles Reade

If you don't have a smile, I'll give you one of mine. ~Author Unknown

I've never seen a smiling face that was not beautiful. ~Author Unknown

Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles. ~George Eliot

Always remember to be happy because you never know who's falling in love with your smile. ~Author Unknown

Smile Stupid ~

Blasé June 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I once had a 'Glow-in-the-Dark' poster of Dracula on my bedroom door when I was in junior high.

You know when I'm really really happy/feeling good whenever I'm smiling and cussin' at the same time. There are two things that always make me do this. One of those is when I'm eating delicious food...

Marlene June 2, 2010 at 7:31 PM

You have a BEAUTIFUL smile. I tend to smile with my mouth closed, for the same reason you did when you were younger. I hate my teeth. They're not awful, awful....(they're white and clean)...but I really should have gotten braces, and never did. Poop.

D. Rene. June 2, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I would smile back at you if you smiled at me. I've had the same experiences with female strangers who divert their eyes instead of just smiling back. Weird.

It works both ways, you know. I ALWAYS smiled, showing every tooth in my mouth and I look back at pictures and think I over did it. Weird.

Kat June 2, 2010 at 7:51 PM

HAHAHA!!! You crack me up! You are just so cruel to yourself. But aren't we all?
I had the vampire teeth too. My bff actually told me to stop smiling at her when we were having a sleepover cuz it was freaking her out. Awesome.
Then I got braces and all was right in the world. Until I figured out that my gumline in all crooked and weird. Now I am self conscious again. But I smile anyway because I live in a small town and everyone smiles at everyone all the time. :)

LOVE this post! :)

Green Monkey June 3, 2010 at 6:36 AM

great post! :))))) yes SMILES are a big deal. I love forcing smiles out of strangers. loved seeing all the different phases of Michelle :)

I will be deliberately smiling today! thanks for a great read

Michelle June 3, 2010 at 8:43 AM

That's a great idea. Sometimes I'll get a thought in my head and smile about it as I go about my business and I'll either get weird looks or smiles back. It's funny what a little smile can do for someone. Even better is a compliment. I was at Target last weekend wearing my dumpy clothes and a hat my husband bought me. A lady gave me a huge smile and said she loved my had. It really brightened my day! :)

Michelle June 3, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Oh, and you don't look fat in any of your pictures, so I would have to agree with your mom and BFF Tanya.

Rita/Fighting Off Frumpy June 3, 2010 at 11:37 AM

What an awesome post! (And you have a really great smile, so it's nice to hear you're using it often.) I can relate to the tooth issues - when I was growing up, my two front teeth had a gap the size of, like, Texas. (Think Spongebob.) It's a lot more fun to smile now that they're fixed!

Bossy Betty June 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Ah! The power of a smile!!! Love that high school picture even without a smile. Gorgeous.

I've had mouth issues. I understand. I got braces when I was 27!

Mommafo June 3, 2010 at 1:25 PM

You're adorable, and this was a great post! I have 4 kids as well, except 3 girls and 1 boy. I STILL really hate my teeth, and dream of one day getting braces. *SIGH!!!* I smile at people in the store too, (not all of them, ugh) but they usually always look at my million kids! Does having 4 kids make you feel like everyone is judging you?

Bob West June 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I have yours.
Very insightful! I am now a follower.
God Bless, Bob West

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy June 4, 2010 at 7:19 AM

What a sweet post! I love all of the pictures, too. And, I must agree... I see no signs of fat! I often find myself with a scowl on my face when I am scrolling through my grocery list or giving my rowdy kids "the look." I have to make an effort to smile and relax. Sad, but true. And, I really do try. Thanks for the reminder.

Mrs. Nurse Boy