WHAT did she just say?!

>> Monday, June 14, 2010

You ever have one of them moments…a moment when someone blurts out something truly stupid or downright asinine, then that uncomfortable moment follows when they realize their mistake. You watch as the person tries to dig out of the whole or cover up the dumb ass thing that just flew out of their mouth.

What do you do?

a) Just pretend like you didn’t hear it and let them off the hook?

b) Say nothing, smile politely (turn bright red of embarrassment) and walk away in shock, call up your mom and cry?

c) Let them squirm and enjoy calling them out on the error of their ways?

I tend to do the latter anymore, a few years back I would have been calling my mommy.

Today at the bank with my 5 year old, depositing the husbands pay check, I had this pleasure. The teller, who is in her mid 50’s heavy set and is wearing her hair far too long and about 20 years out of style, strikes up a conversation with my son…that goes something like this.

Teller: Hey kiddo what’s your name?

Kiddo: WHATS THAT SIGN SAY?

Teller: oh that says, please wait here for the next available teller.

Kiddo: SEE MOM, IT DOES NOT SAY, Spinning around this poll will cause brain damage!

Teller: So buddy what is your name?

Kiddo: (hides behind my leg.)

Me: You can tell her Sam, its ok. (DUH!)

Kiddo: My names Sammy and I'm this many…can I have a sucker?

Teller: So Sammy, are you going to have a new baby in your house soon?

Me: (WHAT THE F*CK DID SHE JUST SAY??!!  Did she just insinuate I'm expecting!! )

Kiddo: We already have a baby in the house, duh.

Teller: awww…oh you do?

…uncomfortable silence…

Me: (dead pan, waiting for her to start digging)

Teller: did you have a baby sister or baby brother?

Kiddo: a sister…can I have a red sucker?

Me: (Making plans to burn this shirt and do some sit ups when I get home)

Teller: (handing Sam the red sucker and me the receipt) How old is your baby?

Me: She’s Two. (smart ass grin)

Teller: (dropping subject) Bye Sammy it was nice to meet you, have a good day.

Me: Can we have another sucker please …ya'know...for the baby and all?

Teller: (turning red as the sucker) Of course…

Shell June 14, 2010 at 8:18 PM

OMG, she had to feel sooooo stupid!

Marlene June 14, 2010 at 9:33 PM

That happened to me a few years back. I was wearing a long shapeless dress. I was congratulated on my pregnancy. I was 40 at the time, and in no way, shape or form pregnant OR hoping to be that way.

Yeah, I donated that dress to Goodwill. Some expectant mother will appreciate it.

Cheryl D. June 14, 2010 at 9:45 PM

What a bozo! I have to admit, though, when I was pregnant and strangers commented on my pregnancy; I'd give them a shocked expression and tell them I wasn't pregnant. It was good for a few laughs, but it looked stupid when I was 4 months along and already VERY preggo! LOL

Rita/Fighting Off Frumpy June 15, 2010 at 6:39 AM

OMG! How horrible, for everyone involved (except for Sam who made off with a sucker!). I have a personal rule: never, EVER ask about someone's pregnancy unless they are in the process of actually giving birth. :)

Kat June 15, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Oh no!
I NEVER EVER comment on someone being pregnant even if it looks like they are about to pop. Unless the woman brings it up first I will NEVER comment. ;)

Bossy Betty June 15, 2010 at 9:05 AM

OH OH! Yikes!

Love the part about the sign NOt saying spinning around the pole. You are a brilliant mommy for thinking that up!

Mimi June 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Ouch! What a way to stick her foot in her mouth & ruin your day.

I guess ya' gotta laugh right?

grownupforeal June 15, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Awww, you're a woman after my own heart. Why make her day when you can create a blogable moment for yours? Good for you!

Michelle June 16, 2010 at 11:55 AM

No, she did not!! That's why you never assume someone is pregnant! Even if they're going into labor!