Bad day for the dog

>> Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
"Buck" up to his old tricks
So my dog likes to roll around in crap, not his own crap mind you. He has high standers when it comes to crap rolling, it must be the best quality organic vegan crap. Only Deer dung fits the bill.

Now when it comes to rolling in road kill or decaying matter…anything dead will do…and the deader the better.

He spent most of Sunday rolling in some of the finest Deer poo the Pacific Northwest can offer. Lucky for me organic vegan crap has a much less disgusting smell then death.

I still made him an appointment at the doggie groomers for today, he needed to be deshedded and dedunged.  And the last time I gave him a bath I ended up in the tub with him, Not pretty.

Being that he is a big ol chicken and today his first time at the groomers…he literally pooped himself, guess they scared the sh*t out of the poor guy…so lets just say It didn’t go so well. I had to go in to the back and get him out myself; they informed me after the 2nd bath (cause of the pooping issue) he started snapping at the workers.

Poor dog…poor me…still have a stinky fur ball and now he is wet.

So the task of cleaning this 115lb stink tank is up to me….oh goody!

I picked up some “Fur so fresh” dog shampoo (we were out from his last roll in road kill).

This shampoo says it “Beautifies and Freshens” I need me some of that! But it says right on the bottle that it’s for dogs only…danggumit… I want a high lustrous sheen that helps eliminate yellow discoloration and stains.

It also claims to Brighten, highlight and prevent dryness.

Wonder if it will make him bright enough not to roll in crap anymore? Well at least I hope it will brighten his day!
Crap or no crap...we love the big goofball and all his tricks.

Maggie and her sweet puppy bear.

I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Donda July 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM

How in the world did he get himself tangled up in the swing? LOL

The Professional Family Manager July 20, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Dirty, smelly dogs just stink. No pun intended. :-)

My daughter shows golden retrievers, and she uses shampoo that has an initial outlay that is insane. The real professional grooming soaps--not the ones in pet stores that say on the label they are professional, but the show-quality soaps--are made to get the odors out, because you can't show a smelly dog. The redeeming thing is the soaps are extremely concentrated, so if you buy one bottle of shampoo for around $20 it should last the life of the dog. But, still, the price just gets me. If the smell thing is a frequent occurrence and you're going to do it yourself, it might be worth checking out the shampoos. My daughter uses #1 All Systems and Plush Puppy.

The poor dog! Sorry to hear of his rotten time at the groomers...and the rotten time you had, too!

Rose July 20, 2010 at 6:28 PM

your dog is weird. he must constantly smell if rolls in...

Marlene July 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Wow - that's just crappy!! (Arf, arf!) ;)

Gotta tell ya, my hubby was rolling in laughter at the comment you posted on my blog. ;)

Cheryl D. July 20, 2010 at 9:04 PM

He sure is one gorgeous goofball!

Nicole July 21, 2010 at 6:34 AM

well at least he doesn't want to eat it and then give you kisses :). Our dogs try to do stuff like that.

Anonymous,  July 21, 2010 at 11:48 AM

The natural Soothing Spray and Pet Shampoo by AvenaPro works the best for brightening and softening your dog's coat. They are made with the active ingredients found in oats.

Bleach would brighten pretty well too I suppose, but I think this is a less harmful solution!

Dogs will be dogs :)
Tim

Mamma has spoken July 21, 2010 at 11:53 AM

My dogs love rolling in poo too. One morning as I was getting ready to leave for work, all three took turns rolling in some rancid smelling poo. I couldn't clean them before I went to work, so into their kennels they went. Several hours later, I came home to house that smelled awful. Note to self, if the dogs do it again, take a sick day to wash them.

K9friend July 21, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Dogs just love to roll in the most disgusting things. Supposedly it's instinctive behavior to disguise the scent of the hunter. Geez, you'd think the new smell would send anyone/anything running for the hills!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Leanne July 21, 2010 at 8:23 PM

You are absolutely hysterical! Since I am so NOT a dog person, I have nothing more to say!! ;)

So sorry about the whole dog poop crap bath thing. I enjoyed the story so!!! I'm still laughing!!!!

Mimi July 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Yep, Oskar loves to roll in crud too!