SpongeBob is a great role model for kids!

>> Monday, August 2, 2010

I know a lot of parents don’t like Nickelodeon’s show SpongeBob Squarepants, but I think SpongeBob is very good role model for kids. I get that they use words like stupid, idiot, moron and barnacle head, they show their butts and use lots of good ol fart humor, they are basically clueless boneheads. Not exactly the things we want our kids emulating. Right?

SpongeBob can be a little miss-understood, look at it from another point of view. SpongeBob is always happy, in a good mood and positive. SpongeBob loves everyone;  is a loyal faithful friend to a fault. He has a great work ethic, and shows great pride in his crabby patties. And has there ever been a bigger lover of animals? SpongeBob also shows an undying adoration for his grumpy neighbor Squidward.

Now if watch the show you know Squidward would rather SpongeBob fall off the face of the earth, Squidward is highly annoyed by SpongeBob and his buddy Patrick. He treats poor SpongeBob and Patrick like crap, he is very clear that he can’t stand those two and belittles them every chance he can get,  Squidward is a big grumpy bully.

How do SpongeBob and Patrick handle this Bully? Ha! Now that’s the great part. They handle him with humor and wit…yeah I said it…Wit. It’s the best way to shut down a bully, bullying in school would be history, like a fart in a strong breeze, if kids these days would handle it more like these two. Seriously.

Think about it…some brat walks up to your kid in the hall and says something like…
“Hey Billy, you’re as dumb as a doorknob?”
And Billy says "Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets!" ~ SpongeBob

Don’t you agree that would stop that kid in his tracks…what can you say back to that?

Some examples of how SpongeBob and Patrick use their wit and humor to block verbal attracts.

Squidward: How dumb can you be Patrick?
Patrick: It varies.

Squidward: SpongeBob where you dropped on your head as a baby?
SpongeBob: How did you know!!

Sandy: Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else?
Patrick:  Not until four.

I understand your kids are not going to have a writer to give them some good come backs, but SpongeBob can teach you kids how to use humor.  See a bully can't make fun of you if you can make fun of yourself better.  Its worked for my kids over the years, and so has SpongeBob.
Watching SpongeBob has benefited my kid in many ways, just the other day my uncle thought he would give my 12 year old some crap.

Uncle: Wow Avery your smelling a little ripe, ever heard of deodorant?
Avery: That’s my Manly pit smell *lifts arms and sniffs pits*, Why cover this up with deodorant? I like my man smell, don’t you.

Now that I think about it maybe that’s not the best example of a benefit.

Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are...

-Patrick

Cheryl D. August 2, 2010 at 11:14 AM

What a clever post! Who knew there was a benefit to Sponge Bob?

Megan August 2, 2010 at 12:24 PM

LOVE this post. I knew my love of Spongebob cartoons would pay off someday. Glad my daughter thinks so too!

And on a serious note, I agree. As long as the kids can talk about the bullying later on to an understanding adult, to make fun of yourself is a great way to throw off a bully.

Marlene August 2, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Oh yeah! Farting is a great way of throwing off the enemy!

Rose August 2, 2010 at 1:54 PM

very good post using SpongeBobto bring a point in dealing with a bully. Thanks. Rose

Lynn August 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I'm probably the only person on the face of the earth whose never seen Spongebob. I've tried to turn it on for Audrey, but she isn't interested. I know she'd pick up their lines and use them in conversation by the next day...sounds like this isn't necessarily a bad thing!

loveable_homebody August 2, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Great defense! Spongebob is awesome. Some parents are way too sensitive, I think. Looney Tunes and Disney cartoons were way more violent! Still, I loved them. Haha.

Bossy Betty August 2, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I love Spongebob! He is my partner in parenting!!

Gigi August 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I am a lover of Spongebob. I was anti-Sponge before I had kids. It was a bad rap. My kids love the show and in truth, I find it pretty charming. And all your points? Well taken. They are happy people except for Squidward, and I love that Plankton, the true bad guy, never comes out on top.

Life the Way It Should Be: Bikini Bottom.

Mamma has spoken August 3, 2010 at 7:39 AM

I really think the developers of Sponge Bob, Fairly Odd Parents and such have the parents in mind when they wrote them. They knew that they needed to keep the parents entertain as well or they would take over the remote and change the channel!

Rose August 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

thanks for your comment on my blog re playhouse. my husband is good at inventing and mechanics. he tends to underestimate how long a project will take. sure 2 weeks to redo the entire bathroom. after a month i was glad to say we tok the bathtub out of the living room and got it into the bathroom. good luck in panting. take care. Rose

Grace August 4, 2010 at 7:10 PM

SpongeBob is the best! I love the humor. My all-time favorite was the one about the fish hooks that used a little 12-Step language. It was brilliant!