Thou shall not read…

>> Monday, August 16, 2010

Teachers will tell you that reading to your kids every day will help them learn and give them a love of reading. They jam it in your face every chance they get, teachers send home reading logs and books and truck loads of pamphlets on the benefits of reading.  Like a cult, at first they are kind and sweet about it, but next thing you know your going to burn on a stake for turning in a incomplete reading log.  (Sidenote: I agree kids should be reading, this is not a teacher bashing post, so don't click away Bossy Betty)

They also say it’s very important that your kids see you reading, by seeing you read they will want to read books just like their parents. Kids will love books if mommy loves books, that’s what they say. But they lie, all lies, lies.

I love to read; use to read all the time, every night it was me, tea, and book. I think that’s where my love of writing comes from. Even now I spend hours in the library and bring home as much as I can carry. I. love. books!

Did you know you can get books on Blogging at the Library? You can!

But my kids hate to see mommy reading, mommy reading means mommy’s not watching head stands or back flips off the couch. If I sit down with a book and a cup of coffee some alarm goes off in their little head and they need something from me, they are just dyeing of thrust, or they must get the bug out of their eye NOW. My daughter has been known to rip books from my hands and jump on the newspaper as I’m reading it.

My husband has this same alarm in his head, but his needs are different from the kids, he will stare at me while I read in bed, or ask if I'll be reading for much longer.  So I've given it up.

Oh and the things they do to my books, it’s not pretty. They draw in them, spill drinks on them, rip pages out of them. What did a book ever do to my kids?  It's partly my fault for having books everywhere, cause I like to have them handy, so I. Can. Read.

The dog ate this parenting book, but I think my kids put him up to it.

This is my Bible; it was so hard not to tell my daughter she was going to hell for that one.

For now I’m down to reading only children’s books to my children, because that’s the only kind I’m aloud to read. Plus I fear the teachers will find out I’m not reading to them the suggested 20 mins a day and take my parenting card away.

What do you love to read, and how do you get away with it?

Kat August 16, 2010 at 8:26 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! This totally cracked me up! HAHAHA!!!
I only read when my kids are asleep and my hubby is busy watching man shows. That is the only way I can get a moments peace. :)

Bethany@ImperfectMom August 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM

I love reading, too! My kids don't bug me too much anymore when I read, but they are older now, and I only have two of them. I think my youngest was about 4 before I could actually sit and read peacefully, though.
My kids are like that when I talk on the phone! Seriously-they could be across the street playing or something, but the second I get on the phone, there they are, pestering me, or fighting, or being loud. My husband does it, too!

Jenn August 16, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Ok, too funny!! I have the exact same dilemma!! I could play with the kids all morning and give them my undivided attention and I swear, as soon as I even glance at the bookshelf, they're all over me!!! I just started reading after they're in bed because that's the only time I get, I guess!!!

loveable_homebody August 16, 2010 at 11:17 PM

You know I've stopped reading for a while too, but at least you have an excuse! I wonder what the teacher would say if you explained all of this to her....

I've heard quiet time is difficult to come by as a parent, quiet PRIVATE time even more so! Even the dog won't leave you! Hmm. Maybe this will get better when the kids get older? Monday to Thursday nights my mom always had my sister and I read before bed. Maybe you need to make it a routine like that. I don't know... You're a mom; I'm sure you've tried a bunch of stuff.

Gigi August 17, 2010 at 7:05 AM

yes, that whole "if they see you reading they will want to read" has the exact same effect you describe. They don't go and pull out books on their own and hole up in their rooms and read. No way, no how!

Hilarious!!!

Nicole August 17, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I saw Janet Evanovich in your picture! Great choice! That's my read!!! I have it a little easier though, I'm only a part time parent. My soon to be step daughter is only with us every other weekend which is sad but that's the way it is.

Bossy Betty August 17, 2010 at 4:03 PM

I find that placing a five pound bag of sugar on the table and letting the kids go at it gives me a good half hour of reading time.

I would never click away from your blog!!

citymouse August 17, 2010 at 8:49 PM

I'm embarrassed to say I have a huge pile of books waiting to be read and I haven't picked one up in forever. I blame it on the internet (really). With school starting back up, I am hoping things will get a bit more routine and I will start back up.

Rose August 19, 2010 at 1:10 PM

i read more books when younger. with age, too much other stuff. i love poetry books. have a good day. rose

Mamma has spoken August 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I know what you are going through. My sons loved to be read to, I thought my reading level would never get above 5th grade chapter books. I went on my adventures with the sons during reading time that was done on my bed, right before bed time. Boy do I miss those times!

Peggy K August 29, 2010 at 7:52 AM

My best reading time...on the treadmill. BUT, I haven't found a good book to read that will get my butt on the treadmill. Perhaps that explains this trailer I'm hauling!!

Anonymous,  March 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I just couldn't go away your web site before suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard information a person supply for your visitors? Is gonna be back continuously in order to inspect new posts

Here is my web-site; cheap shopping

Anonymous,  March 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM

You made ѕome deсеnt pοintѕ there.
I сhecked on the net for morе іnfo about the issue and found moѕt pеoрle will go аlong
ωith уour views on thіs webѕіte.

Anonymous,  March 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Thanκ уou a lоt foг sharing thiѕ with all folks you actually rеalize ωhаt уou're talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please additionally seek advice from my website =). We can have a link change contract among us Anxiety Attack Disorder - Do You have Anxiety Attack Symptoms

Anonymous,  April 16, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Remarkable thingѕ hеrе. I am veгу haрpy to peer your
pοѕt. Τhanκ уou ѕo much and I
am lοоking foгωaгd to touch you.
Will уou please ԁгop me а mail?
click through the Following web page

Anonymous,  April 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Fаntaѕtіc ρoѕt hοωeveг I wаѕ wanting
to know if you coulԁ ωrite a litte moгe
on thiѕ subject? І'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Many thanks!

Also visit my blog :: Link building service