Whats with all that Luggage Lady!?

>> Monday, September 27, 2010

My friend Emily told me this story once about how she took her infant daughter to a well check doctor’s appointment. She was walking into the office carrying her baby girl in one of them infant car seats in her right hand, her over stuffed, but fashionable, diaper bag was flung over her right shoulder; her purse hung from the crock of her left arm, and in her left hand was her Starbucks coffee. She was in a hurry, running late and it didn’t help that she was wearing some very cute and very high heal shoes. I remember Emily laughing as she described the look on the faces of the people she hurried past and the horrible feeling that her thong was showing out the back of her hip hugging jeans. With her hands full Emily was unable to pull her blouse down as she felt it riding up her back with the weight of her diaper bag, and she could no easier tug up her jeans as they seemed to be creeping down from the infant car seat perched on her hip. And the best part was she had her two year old son Connor jetting off in front of her, so as she trotted in her heals bouncing her baby in its carrier and her latte splashing about, she screamed after her son with the all vigor of a very stressed mom, “CONNOR, STOP!” “CONNOR, WAIT FOR MOMMY!” “CONNOR!”

When Emily reached the Doctors office covered in sweat and coffee, she bent over to set the baby down sending her over stuffed, but very fashionable, diaper bag swinging down around her arm and smacking her baby girl right in the head, sending the contents of the bag spilling onto the floor and her baby into fits. When the mess was picked up and the baby settled down, she hiked her pants back up over the crack of her ass, and put her blouse where it should be. Emily soon realized not every thing was right in the world… her son had taken this opportunity to suck down her much needed Starbucks!

Have you ever felt like the sweet things in life were just with in arms reach, but all the baggage your carrying with you, all the time everyday, keeps you from drinking them in? Is all of that baggage even yours?! Did you pick up someone else’s luggage too? What is that there on your back? Is that a pack of garbage your Mother in Law dumped on you last week? Why are you still lugging that around? What about that baggage under your eyes, are you missing out on some sleep, busy digging though your head looking for a way to fix someone that insists on staying broken?

Me? Oh here look at this, my over sized purse of crap, isn’t it cute. I like to open it up sometimes, run my fingers around in it, stir up some nasty smelling poop, get myself nice and worked up, and maybe even share some of my crap with my friends. I keep it around because its mine, it stinks and it’s stressful, but it’s my crap and I own it. Sure life would smell sweeter, and feel a lot lighter if I got rid of it, but just like Emily’s very fashionable diaper bag, there might be something in there I would need some day….right?

Naw, unlike Emily’s diaper bag it has nothing I need in it! The dam thing just keeps wielding around and smacking me upside the head sending me into fits, I could really do with out it. Our luggage, our unwanted carry on so to speak, keeps us from doing the things we need to do, want to do. Keeps us from hiking up our jeans and taking on the world for all its wonder, we just keep running around with our ass crack hanging out not being able to do a dam thing about it. If we weren’t so weighted down, our arms so full, and our view so obscured we could fly.

So how do I let go? How do you let go? Let God...

Oh honey ….I’m not going to leave you hanging….This is just part one.

Mamma has spoken September 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM

You have my attention, on with part two.

Leanne September 27, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Fantastic ... fantastic ... fantastic ... I'm there, with a load of crap myself, dearie. How do I let go? I don't . . . or I usually blog about it ;)

I'm ready for part 2 . . .

middle child September 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I let go with God but If I am too impatient, I take a xanax while I'm waiting for Him.

Cheryl D. September 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Excellent part one! I'm not sure I'm going to agree with the part two though! LOL

Jessica Warrick September 27, 2010 at 7:38 PM

wow you have put this so eloquently. In life we carry many bags and some of us more than others. Maybe its time we start emptying our bags and relieving ourselves or the pain , misery , and embarrassment.

Anonymous,  September 27, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Wow, thanks Michelle, I miss her so much!!

Laura September 28, 2010 at 3:05 AM

Wow - you got me thinking. In the meantime, I'll be waiting for Part 2.

Marlene September 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Very descriptive writing! I LIKE!! More, more more! PLEASE. :)

Joey @ Big Teeth and Clouds September 29, 2010 at 10:56 AM

My baggage is more like a storage shed that I keep around but never ever go in. I access it by way of faint memories I should just let go.

Rose September 29, 2010 at 12:46 PM

wow! wild story. when i get over loaded, i cry and then get my thoughts together, pray and move on. thanks for your comment on my post re horses. i like but don't want to care for them. rose

Kimberly September 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM

You just have been awarded the Versatile Blogger Award, visit http://tidbitsfromamom.blogspot.com to claim it.

Kelley September 30, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Ha!! This made me laugh! I especially liked the part about the diaper bag smacking the poor baby in the head. I think I knocked my 5 y/o in the head with my big purse as I turned quickly yesterday. Ha! Oh, hold on. Not ha. I asked him if he was okay, I promise. :) On another note, I laughed at your comment about the cat not peeing in his litter box when it's "dirty" (meaning he's peed it in once). I won't enter into any cat hate speech, because, well...there are some sweet ones out there. Still, cats are high maintenance little farts sometimes! Am I right or am I right?

Leanne October 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Hey . . . where you been??? I'm waiting for part 2 .... are you ok???

Bossy Betty October 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I loved this! It really struck a chord with me. Off to read Part Two.

Mel ~ October 9, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Hahahahahaha, I really did lol at this one. I can soooo totally relate! What a segway to the real issues I love it!